August 23, 2010

Work it Out

I feel like I have been neglecting my passion for fitness on the blog these days. Lately my cardio routine revolves around my running shoes. Since it gets so hot here in the summer afternoons - we have had near 100 degree days every day for the past month here in Oklahoma - I have to get up before dawn to get a run in.

A few months back my running routine hit a plateau, it just wasn't getting me the results I desired. After talking to a few running friends I decided to try sprints. Just typing the work sprint makes me queasy. So for the past few months I have been doing a sprint workout Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. What I do like about this plan is that it doesn't take forever.





After lacing up and stretching for a few minutes I head out the door and do a warm up run for about 12 minutes or so. I then turn around and start the real work, sprint for 30 seconds - as fast as I can without hurting myself, and walk 1 minute. I continue this pattern 8 or 9 times then run a few minutes to cool down.

all images via athleta.com


I have to be honest, as much as it pains me to get up early and pound the payment, I think it is paying off. These sprint workouts have done my body better than the regular old fashioned steady state running that I was doing at the beginning of the season. I have come across a few blogs that discuss HIIT (high intensity interval training, which is basically what my sprint workouts are) versus steady state cardio.

So there you have it, the cardio plan of my workouts. What about you guys, what do you do for cardio and how is it working?

2 comments:

Splendid Sass said...

Well, since my workout has been zero, this will be a post to wish you well. I feel so much better when I have a workout routine. I need to get back to it.
Teresa

Splendid Sass said...

Well, since my workout has been zero, this will be a post to wish you well. I feel so much better when I have a workout routine. I need to get back to it.
Teresa

Related Posts with Thumbnails