August 25, 2010

A Lost Art


The handwritten note is something I have been meaning to blog about for a while. I know we have all heard it before that old fashioned notes in the mail are a lost art. For as long as I can remember I have enjoyed both giving and receiving personal messages in my mailbox.





I have boxes and boxes of stationary that will suit pretty much any occasion. I also try to remember what card or pattern I last sent a friend so as not to send the same again. One of my favorite brands of note cards is Whitney English, based right here in Oklahoma, love it! I also love all things that surround stationary including the writing instrument of choice, stamps, return address stamps/labels, it is all so inspiring to me.










I also enjoy the etiquette side of note writing and all things Emily Post. If you are looking for tips on specifically writing thank you notes, be sure to check this post I found on Blissfully Domestic. If your note requires a little more compassion, follow these guidelines I found in an old Real Simple magazine.
If the person in crisis is an acquaintance rather than a close friend, one
of the best ways to express sympathy is by sending a note, according to Florence
Isaacs, author of Just a Note to Say... Isaacs suggests that you:


  • Be brief. If you don't know the person well, it's fine to send a short
    message. Use a note card - you can fill it up with just two or three
    lines.

  • Be honest. The words "I'm thinking of you" are welcoming no matter
    what the crisis. You can also admit "I don't know what to say." If
    someone has dies, the greatest gift is to share a fond memory of the
    person.

  • Don't make assumptions. Avoid phrases like "I know how you feel,"
    because you really don't. Everyone's grief and pain are different.
    "It's better this way," whether in response to a divorce or death is also
    presumptuous. And if an acquaintance is sick but you're not sure why,
    don't wish her a speedy recovery - she might have a chronic or terminal
    illness.

2 comments:

Splendid Sass said...

I love note writing and believe that it is one of the most importanct things you can do. Beautiful stationary here.
I run an etiquette post at the end of each blog post during the school year using Emily Post. Tjis will return next week.
Greta post.
Teresa

The Simply Luxurious Life said...

It really is a lost art. I too enjoy receiving them in the mail. Just the thought that someone took the time says so much. And shopping for beautiful stationary is fun.
Great tips. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your weekend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails