In case you missed yesterday's GOOP newsletter, Gwyneth answered some readers' questions. I thought one particular Q&A was helpful and wanted to share it here.
Jerry Seinfeld joined wife Jessica and Gwyenth Paltrow at a Baby Buggy at Balenciaga benefit in NYC's The Hamptons Wednesday. I am loving Gwyn's fresh new look these days.
Question: How might a 40 something jump start a sluggish metabolism? (Although I am not yet 40 there is still good information in the reply.)
Gwyneth asked Dr. Oz Garcia to answer this question. Dr. Garcia is a New York city based nutritionist. He is an expert in anti-aging nutrition and the author of several books on the matter including, “Redesigning 50: The No-Plastic-Surgery Guide to 21st-Century Age Defiance”.
Answer: Staying slim and fit is always a challenge but maintaining your girly figure after age forty can be an all out battle. Even maintaining an exact diet and fitness regimen will not beat the penalty of aging.
On average, women gain 25 pounds between the ages of 30 and 60 and it’s not from eating those extra Twinkies. During the course of the natural aging process, women shed lean muscle mass. These lean muscles are the force from which calories are burned even while sitting around and just blinking.
Technically speaking, a pound of lean tissue burns 35 to 50 K’s each day. A loss of just a half-pound of lean muscle could cause you to gain three pounds in just one year, 25 pounds in 10 years, 50 pounds in 20 years and a hefty 75 pounds in 30 years.
So in order for women to stay lean well into their 40’s, 50’s and 60’s they need to maintain those lean muscles. This means working out every day. Yes, every day. Exercise with increased resistance and lower reps will provide increased muscle density and bone strength.
Interval training, when you get your heart pumping at maximum capacity and then slow down for a period of recovery, is great for losing weight in your 20’s and 30’s. Once you’re a bit older, however, you want to regulate your cardio training into a steady bell-shaped progression. Start off slow, work to a crescendo and then work you way back down.
Oh yes, there’s also an eating component. (Don’t act surprised, you knew it was coming.)
- A good cleanse or detox, like Blue Print Cleanse and Organic Avenue, is an incredible way to jump-start your metabolism.
- You need to eat lots of lean animal proteins, like salmon or white meat chicken to help you stay fueled and burn calories.
- Green tea is a metabolic enhancer and natural diuretic that will keep your body flush and lean.
- Lose the wheat and gluten. Wheat can work as a hormone disrupter and alter your appetite to increase cravings. There are enough good and healthy carbs and starches that won’t gob on the fat and cause your metabolism and energy levels to become sluggish.
- Try to eat five to six small meals a day. Micro-mealing doesn’t allow you to get too hungry between meals. By eating every few hours, you keep your metabolism firing, your blood sugar stable, and leave your body in a much better state to burn energy.
- Plan your meals in advance - classic Mediterranean or Japanese are good choice. Also make sure to have ”go-to” snacks such as pistachio’s, fruit, and even eggs on hand at home or at work.
This post made me feel pretty good because I already do a lot of the things the Doctor suggests. I hope you glean something from this too.