June 25, 2010

Sun Safety

Now that I am on the downhill side of my 30's I have become more interested in sun protection. The other day I came across a site hosted by the Environmental Working Group where they have rated sun protection products. According to the Group's latest report, a whopping 92% of sunscreens either don't adequately protect skin from sun damage or contain hazardous chemicals--and sometimes both. Follow these tips and never get burned again.

Do pick lotions or creams. "When you use a spray or powder sunscreen, you're more likely to inhale chemicals," says Leeann Brown from the EWG. "It's great on your skin, but not in your lungs." Plus, it's easy to miss spots with sprays and powders.

Do look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen with zinc oxide, titanium oxide or avobenzone to help ward off damaging UVA and UVB rays.

Don't use a sunscreen that contains oxybenzone or vitamin A (sometimes listed as retinyl palmitate). Oxybenzone is a hormone disrupter that can penetrate skin easily; it's also a common allergen. Research suggests that vitamin A or retinyl palmitate might make skin more sun-sensitive and speed tumor growth. The girls at Natures Knockout also suggest the product should have at least 7% zinc/titanium dioxide.

Do slather--and repeat. Use about an ounce of sunscreen (enough to fill a shot glass) all over your body and reapply every two hours. Slap it on more often if you're swimming or sweating.

As far as products go I am reluctant to categorize them all as sunscreen because I believe we need different products for different reasons - one for face, one for body and one for hands.
When it comes to the cost of sun care products I believe that price should not be an obstacle. I would rather spend $75 on a bottle of lotion now than $500 on botox later. For example, if I had a cool bill laying around right now I would buy this Zo Skin Health Oclipse Sunscreen Primer SPF 30, a sunscreen and makeup primer in one, discovered via Liz and Jane .
In the mean time I just ordered some new products from the Skin Store and will let you know how I like them.

1 comment:

sk kumar said...

nice post . Find more Skin care creams and lotions Online in India.

#Skin Care | Beauty #care

Related Posts with Thumbnails