January 21, 2010

Inspiration in a Catalog?

Each time I open my mailbox and pull out a new Athleta catalog I get all sorts of giddy. I don’t know which I am more excited about, the clothing or the models. I got hooked on Athleta a few years ago, before they were bought out by the Gap. I think their items are of good quality – none of the pieces I have are falling apart or show any signs of such, they wash and wear well. I do think their sizing is a bit scattered, but now they have a feature on their site for customers to leave feedback, which often includes sizing suggestions. Their items are a bit pricier, but I do believe you get what you pay for. Besides, they are always adding new items to their sale section.





Then there are their models. Their models are usually athletes in some form or shape and actually have muscle on their bones, unlike some fitness models. I am always curious who these women are, and after some searching on the web I did find out who a few of them are, most of them I found via this blog. My favorite model they have used in the past is Monica Carlson, whom some might know from The American Gladiators show. She is now appearing in GNC ads, but I hope she makes her way back to Athleta.




Athleta usually goes to some exotic location to shoot for their catalog, so the background plus the models definitely gives me some motivation to get my butt moving. And speaking of moving, check out these yoga poses! This is one of their newer models, Drisana Carey, a Syracuse University graduate who was a Big East Academic All-Star in volleyball.




And some inspiration to get my butt up and running is the pretty Lauren Collins from the University of California Irvine. Collins rocks at pretty much all track events, including high jump, shot put, long jump, javelin throw, 100-meter hurdles, 200-meters and 800-meters. Wow.



And if all of this isn’t inspiration enough, Athleta also is good at giving us doses of it in writing via their blog AthletaChi. Here you can find articles by all sorts of women athletes on everything from running, to yoga to kettlebells. They also post behind the scenes shots of their photo shoots on their Facebook page, good stuff.


And for those of you that think you’ve got what it takes to be a model in their next magazine, they even tell you how to apply. Good luck! Until next time, keep on shopping!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this link on Athleta's facebook page. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Athleta is great, and the models are even better. Thanks for finding out who the models are, it's interesting to see what keeps them fit. Great blog post. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails